Drowning in Bricks - A Bridge Update

A quick update, I'm still working on my sarissa bridges. Here are some pics to prove it! First up I've finished the tops of the box girder bridges.


These were actually painted for a game my friend was having, check out his after action report over at "Leonardofury's Hobby Blog" They also served as a testing ground for a few things. Firstly I decided to use ballast to cover the bridge "floors" but that actually caused some severe warping which I hope to fix with the application of glue to the rear of the bridge. Secondly I got to try out some brick techniques before applying them to the larger scale pieces. Speaking of which...


So this arch is near completion, it needs the fascia painting (and gluing on), along with some further detail work around the "damp" patch. Let me know what you guys think, and if anyone fancies painting the other 11ft of mdf, let me know, I'm exhausted!

Comments

  1. You're on your own with those eleven feet of MDF, I fear. ;)

    Extremely convincing brickwork. An outstanding job, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finch. Several months later and I'm still no further on. Stupid actually having to do work at work!

      Delete
  2. These are awesome. Hard to believe that is laser cut MDF and not the real thing! Can you tell me how wide the tops are (i.e. wide enough for a single lane car, double lane or 28mm train (probably ON30 scale)? Also, do the interiors under the arches come out - i.e. can you remove the interiors so you just have the arch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jimmy, sorry for slow response. The tops are about 4" wide with probably 3" of space once you take into account the width of the end walls. The inserts for the arches are optional extras. Without them there is a textured wall with a place to hang a billboard on each side. The bottom of the arch however has no texture so if viewed from underneath you would be able to see that the piece is hollow. Not a problem for gaming though.

      Delete
  3. Chris,

    Thanks! That will definitely fit HO model railroad track. I bought a little streetcar that is O Scale (~1/48th) that will run back and forth on a track. I think these arches will be perfect for my VSF, VBCW, and Operation Sealion games in London. I will keep following your blog and look forward to seeing them lined up and in actions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment